Whoa! Holy Crap! Wait, what just happened?, were all words I thought while reading Mazer Runner by James Dashner. I read the book about three years, but recently decided to re-read it now that that movie was coming out. I'm going to start with my book review and then do a movie review, because although both followed the same story plot, they are very different.
The book starts off quickly with Thomas getting out of the box and wondering what happened to him. And I gotta say everything went by so quickly that I was were just as confused as Thomas was. All of sudden he’s trapped in this camp (the glades) full of crazy boys that have lots of secrets. Even though he’s never met any of them before (or so he thinks), he can’t shake of a feeling of Déjà vu. Especially when things around him go from bad to worse. They have a mini society with a few leaders. Alby, Newt, and Gally. They each have their own jobs. There are slicers and runners, some to cook and others to garden. Everything is going smoothly, the only problem being that they can’t get out. Not only can they not get out but they’re also cursed by grievers. After a boy gets stung by one they go through the changing. They’ve tried literally everything but nothing has changed that is until Theresa gets there.
For the first time since the boys have been in the glades, a girl arrives in the box. And no one knows what to do. Things worsen when they realize that the maze has changed. They now have to get out or die. This is where the movie and the book start to differ. In the book everything happens very slowly (over a course of months), while in the movie, it happens in 3 days! Also Thomas and Theresa also have a special telepathic relationship which was cute.
Now to the movie. That was awesome! To say it was suspenseful was not enough, by the end I felt as if I had just ran an entire marathon alone.
The movie and the book are very different, but they were both well done and the movie sustains the relationship each character has with each other (Not adding a romance not even written in the book, like most books nowadays). They even have the same words like “Shuck it” and “Shank”. One reason as to why I liked the movie way more than the book, was because of my hormones. I mean there were like 8 HOT guys with AMAZING abs, imagining them is fine but seeing them acting while saying the words? I Literally Died!

No comments:
Post a Comment